Established in 1831, Grand River Academy is an internationally recognized private boarding school located in Austinburg, Ohio, which admits young men in grades 8 through 12 and a post-graduate year, throughout the school year, a process called rolling admissions. GRA not only prepares its students for university, proven by its 100% college placement rate, but also prepares them to be successful citizens.
We believe that responsible and educated students are developed through a structured and supportive atmosphere for academic, emotional, and social development. This is achieved through specialized support such as the Foundations Learning Program and Productive Growth Center while allowing for opportunities for growth with the Winter Term and Summer Academy.
Grand River Academy’s Winter Term provides students with the ability to learn and collectively create experiential courses with GRA faculty. During the month of January (between first and second-semester classes), students gain credit for two, two-week courses specifically designed for immersion into a given topic. Course Examples include financial literacy, philanthropy, science and forensics, and fitness and nutrition, among others.
The 5-week Summer Academy is designed to strengthen a subject area, make up lost credits, improve a particular grade, or to prepare for the SAT, ACT, or TOEFL exams. An average class size during the Summer Academy is four. In addition to a structured academic setting, students participate in a variety of on and off-campus activities including recreational sports, art, swimming and trips to area attractions.
GRA has a strong history with its International Student Program. During the 2015 – 2016 academic year, the Academy welcomed students from 13 different countries. GRA has a full-time advisor for the international program, who teaches English Language and American Culture. The international program is designed to work with students on achieving academic success while achieving social success and maturing emotionally.
International students are placed in courses at GRA according to their ability:
- Beginning English-learners are placed in 3-4 ESL courses that focus on: Grammar, Writing, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary Development, Listening, and Speaking. These students take mainstream courses in Math, Science, and/or History.
- Intermediate English-learners are placed in 2-3 advanced ESL courses and mainstream courses in Math, History, Science and/or English.
- Advanced English-learners are placed in a full mainstream schedule and are supported by the international student program coordinator.
The academic curriculum for the program focuses on grammar, writing, reading comprehension, vocabulary development, listening skills and speaking skills. Cultural experience activities are integrated into the program. SAT Prep and TOEFL Prep is incorporated into the curriculum.
A wide range of on and off campus extra-curricular activities is offered
3 Key Program Features:
- Experts in Boy Learning
- International Student Program
- Summer Academy and Winter Term Available
- Total Enrollment : 81
- Type : Boys Only
- Boarding Grades : 8-12, PG
- Total Students : 81
- Boarding Students : 80
- Day Students : 1
- ESL Offered : Yes
- Summer Program : Yes
- Avg. Class Size : 7
- Standard Application : Yes
- Academic URL : https://www.grandriver.org/
- Sport URL :