TASIS The American School in Switzerland is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school, currently enrolling 400 students of more than 50 nationalities in grades 7 through 12 and an additional 235 students in the elementary school, grades Pre-Kindergarten through 6. Founded in 1956 by Mrs. M. Crist Fleming, TASIS is the oldest American boarding school in Europe. The School is owned and directed by the TASIS Foundation, a Swiss non-profit educational organization.
The School is situated on a magnificent 10-acre campus near the village of Montagnola overlooking Lake Lugano and just 15 minutes from the center of town. The facilities include a combination of historic villas beautifully restored for school use, and modern purpose-built facilities. The 20 buildings on campus include dormitories, classrooms, library, science labs, performing arts center, computer labs, art, photography and dance studios, music rooms, fitness center, gymnasium, health center, dining hall and administrative offices. The School’s 280 boarding students are housed in one of the 9 dormitories according to their age and grade level. Faculty live on campus and supervise the dormitories.
The academic program includes English as a second language support, and allows students to earn the American high school diploma and the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, providing access to colleges and universities in the USA and around the world.
The institution is dedicated to expanding the horizons of the young people entrusted to its care, encouraging cross-cultural respect and communication among them, surrounding them with beauty and courtesy, and teaching them to love learning and recognize moral responsibilities. TASIS is devoted to the following virtues, values, and aims:
- introducing young people to a broad and deep human culture, especially European culture and its roots and offshoots.
- teaching habits conducive to good work (love of truth, order, diligence, and service) and friendship (civility, generosity, hospitality).
- activating and developing healthy attitudes and habits regarding the body (physical fitness, self-cultivation and ethical consciousness through team-spirit and competition, the joy of expanding one’s physical limits through responsible challenges).
- eliciting and developing students’ natural affinity for the true, the good, and the beautiful by emphasizing classic works, languages, and advances in knowledge in curriculum, reciprocity and courtesy in social life, and providing inspiring and graceful facilities and surroundings.
The School takes advantage of its location in the heart of Europe to provide an outstanding educational program with an international dimension. The travel program includes 10 days of educational travel throughout Europe as well as a one-week ski term, when the School relocates to Crans-Montana and Verbier.
TASIS is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). In addition to the academic year, TASIS offers a variety of summer programs on campuses in England, Spain, France, and Switzerland.
For further information, visit our web site www.tasis.ch or contact:
Director of Admissions
Tel: 091 960 5151
Fax: 091 993 2979
3 Key Program Features:
- Outstanding Travel Program
- Global Service Learning
- Ski Week
- Total Enrollment : 730
- Type : Co-Ed
- Boarding Grades : 7-12, PG
- Total Students : 730
- Boarding Students : 280
- Day Students : 340
- ESL Offered : Yes
- Summer Program :
- Avg. Class Size : 13
- Standard Application : No
- Academic URL : https://www.tasis.ch
- Sport URL :