Located in Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Stuart Hall is a college preparatory school that offers a boarding program for girls in grades 8-12 and a day program for boys and girls in grades PK-12. The school has two campuses, with the Middle and High Schools located in historic Staunton and the Lower School in nearby Verona. Founded in 1844, Stuart Hall School is one of the oldest independent schools in Virginia. Stuart Hall is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
Staunton is a small, safe college town with a quaint downtown area that provides a wonderful setting for living and learning. Within walking distance, students can access parks, historic sites, coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, churches, concerts, and the American Shakespeare Center’s Blackfriars Playhouse, which draws people from across the country to its live theatrical productions. Just a short drive away is the famous Blue Ridge Parkway, which winds along the ridges of the Blue Ridge Mountains and offers numerous opportunities for outdoor fun. Located just off Interstate 81, Staunton provides easy access to the state’s and nation’s capitals—Richmond, Va. and Washington, D.C.—as well as to historic Charlottesville, Va., home of U.S. founding father Thomas Jefferson and the highly-ranked University of Virginia.
Staunton provides the perfect location to complement the education Stuart Hall School boarding students receive, offering safe opportunities for exploration, emerging responsibility, and engagement in the local culture.
Stuart Hall High School students become leaders of the scholarly community that has nurtured and supported them. A challenging liberal arts program offering extensive Honors coursework, Advanced Placement courses, and college-level classes through Mary Baldwin College is balanced with a wide choice of extracurricular athletic, civic, and fine arts opportunities. The result is a successful, self-confident student poised for the challenges of college and for life beyond the classroom.
Why Consider Stuart Hall? Because you want –
- More personalized attention from teachers for a customized academic fit.
- A superb College Counseling Program with a customized application strategy for each student that takes into account their interests, their academic performance, and their personalities.
- More options following graduation (100% college placement for graduates in top universities across the U.S.).
- More opportunities for achievement in the fine arts—visual arts, music and theater—through a unique and exemplary Fine Arts Emphasis program.
- More chances to explore a safe, vibrant, historical downtown area within walking distance.
- Stuart Hall School’s small classes, family-like community, and individualized instruction provide the perfect environment for each student to reach her full potential.
- Faculty members know each student and challenge students daily to explore their interests, think outside the box, and achieve their personal best.
- Multiple after-school offerings, sports, and weekend activities provide students with many opportunities to interact with each other and with the School’s day students, and to experience the area’s rich local culture.
- At Stuart Hall, there is a 7:1 student to teacher ratio and a 2:1 student to dorm staff ratio.
3 Key Program Features:
- Emphasis programs in Math & Science and in Fine Arts
- Experiential learning
- In-town boarding, facilitating connection to the community
- Total Enrollment : 300
- Type : Co-Ed
- Boarding Grades : PreK-12
- Total Students : 300
- Boarding Students : 75
- Day Students : 225
- ESL Offered : Yes
- Summer Program :
- Avg. Class Size : 15
- Standard Application : Yes
- Academic URL : https://www.stuart-hall.org
- Sport URL :