History of St. Michael’s School
We are a co-educational boarding & day school starting at prep through to sixth form, supporting approximately 430 pupils. The School stands in its own private grounds in the small village of Bryn overlooking the coastal walks of the Gower Peninsula, with the city of Swansea just 12 kilometres away. The school was first established in 1923, and has grown on the foundation of consistent academic success. Today the school is under the same family ownership (Broadway Education) as Bosworth Independent College. St. Michael’s sits in a quiet rural location, with largely British students and a smaller international cohort.
St. Michael’s is well known across Wales and the South-West, it is consistently listed in the UK top 100 independent schools and has a long tradition of sending successful students to both Oxford and Cambridge. The school was awarded the title of ‘Wales Independent School of the Year 2019‘ by The Times
- Why choose St. Michael’s School?
- Ranked 30th in the Times Co-educational Schools in the UK in 2018
- Average A Level class size of 10
- 2018 Results 60.9% achieved A Level Grades A*/A
- Medical Preparation Programme (for students interested in Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry)
- 22% of A Level students entered Medicine in 2018
- Annual School Music & Drama Production
- Tuition scholarship scheme available for high achieving international students
- Supervised evening prep for all boarding students
Courses on Offer:
- Pre GCSE
- GCSE: 20 subject options
- A Level : 20 subject options
- High School Experience (students aged 11-16 years)
Accommodation and care:
The school has two fully supervised boarding houses, Parc House and Tenby House. Parc House (off campus – approximately 2km from the School) offers single or twin shared rooms. The students in this residence will be mainly GCSE and Pre GCSE – from year 7 to 10 (11 to 14 year olds)
Tenby House, the newest residence, also fully supervised, offers en-suite single rooms and provide all the modern comforts that teenage students require. This accommodation is on campus and therefore access to the school buildings is just a walk away. It provides an ideal learning environment for year 11 (GCSE) and A Level students.(normally students would be aged 15 to 19).
St Michael’s also offers ‘independent living’ for A level students who have turned 18 years old. They share an unsupervised house with full kitchen, laundry etc facilities. Staff are at hand on campus if needed and do regular checks of the house.
Our experienced boarding staff provide a leisure programme that is optional to students, and this usually takes place after evening prep and also at week-ends. At the same time students are encouraged to join local sports clubs and a range of community activities. There is also a regular timetable of after school clubs which boarding students are able to participate in with the local students.
Students are expected to wear a school uniform and this is purchased once at school, however the dress code for those in the sixth form is a little less ridged (wearing their own black suits with the school jumper and tie), but participation in any sports clubs will require the correct attire.
Airport transfers are provided by the school and the costs vary depending if flights arrive at Cardiff International or London Heathrow. Guardianship is compulsory for students but at half-term all students may remain in their accommodation at no additional cost and various activities are on offer.
Academic Results 2018
46 students sat a full range of GCSE subjects
69.2% of grades were A* or A
88.3% of grades were A*, A or B
97.0% of grades were A* – C
100% of pupils gained five or more A* – C grades
69.6% of students gained five or more A*/A grades
47.8% of students gained seven or more A*/A grades
34.8% of students gained ten or more A*/A grades
47 students sat a full range of A-Level subjects
60.9% of grades were A* or A
88.5% of grades were A*, A – B
96.2% of grades were A* – C
78.7% of students gained at least one A*/A grade
57.4% of students gained at least two A*/A grades
42.6% of students gained at least three A*/A grades
4 Key Program Features:
- Ranked 30th in The Times Top 100 Co-educational Schools 2018 and awarded the title of ‘Wales Independent School of the Year 2019’
- Consistently getting students into Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Medicine courses
- Competitive fees
- High Standard of accommodation (single en-suite rooms for year 11 upwards)
- Total Enrollment : 436
- Type : Co-Ed
- Boarding Grades : GCSE & A Levels
- Total Students : 436
- Boarding Students : 60
- Day Students : 376
- ESL Offered : Yes
- Summer Program : at sister schools - Moyles Court School or Bosworth Independent College
- Avg. Class Size : 15
- Standard Application : Yes
- Academic URL : https://www.stmikes.co.uk
- Sport URL :