Extraordinary Experiences and Outstanding Academics
Founded in 1949, Hawai’i Preparatory Academy (HPA) is one of the leading college preparatory boarding and day schools in the United States. Boarding is offered for students in grades 9-12 and post graduate (PG).
HPA is a global community for highly-motivated students who seek rigorous academic programs and extraordinary learning experiences. In the last year, more than 90 percent of students scored high enough on their Advanced Placement (AP) exams to receive university credit.
HPA has a long history of admitting international students and continues to seek opportunities to increase diversity.
- 18% of the student population are international students
- More than 20 nations are represented on campus
One of the strategic advantages of attending HPA is that students become highly desirable university admission candidates.
University admission deans recruit heavily in Hawai’i and international students have an edge when applying from HPA. Working with HPA’s university counseling office improves a student’s chances of gaining acceptance to the university that is the best fit for the student and is the school of his/her choice.
HPA is located on the Island of Hawai’i. HPA’s unique island location, which includes 80 percent of the world’s ecosystems, providing opportunities for students to engage in specialized place-based learning.
- World-renowned Sea Turtle Research Program
- Marine Biology in the Pacific Ocean
- Internationally-recognized Energy Lab
- Internships with famed astronomical observatories
- DNA Research
- Brain Research
The HPA campus is in the town of Kamuela, population 7,000, which provides an extremely safe environment and amazing opportunities for students. National Geographic Magazine ranked Kamuela as one of the top 10 places in the world to live. Here are a few of the many benefits of our location:
- World headquarters for the world’s best telescopes – W.M. Keck Observatory and Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corporation.
- Instant access to outdoor activities
- Forty-five minutes to the Kona International Airport – Code: KOA
- Fifteen minutes to the beach
- A world-class hospital – North Hawaii Community Hospital
- Extremely safe town
- Mild climate – the average low is 17-21° C; the average high is 24-28° C
Among HPA’s exceptional course offerings (Grades 9-12 + PG) are:
- English as a Second Language
- Honors courses
- 18 Advanced Placement (AP) classes
- Digital Cinema
- Green Tech
- Hawaiian Studies
- Marine Science
- Sustainable Living
- Theatre Production
- Vocal Performance
- 3-Dimensional Art
- Vocal Performance
- In the last four years, HPA students were admitted to the following top-tier
Universities, among others:
- Boston College
- Boston University
- California Polytechnic State University
- John Hopkins
- New York University
- Olin College of Engineering
University of California – Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
3 Key Program Features:
- World-renowned Sea Turtle Research Program and opportunities in Marine Biology in the Pacific Ocean
- Internationally-recognized Energy Lab: the World’s Greenest K-12 School Building where students study Environmental Science
- Opportunities in independent science research such as DNA analysis, brain research, computer technology, etc.
- Total Enrollment : 400
- Type : Co-Ed
- Boarding Grades : 9-12, PG
- Total Students : 400
- Boarding Students : 190
- Day Students : 210
- ESL Offered : Yes
- Summer Program : Yes
- Avg. Class Size : 15
- Standard Application : Yes
- Academic URL : https://www.hpa.edu/
- Sport URL : https://www.hpa.edu/athletics